Unveiled at APCO Conference
Centennial, Colorado, 10 August 2017 – CompassDrone™, developers of unmanned aerial solutions for high-quality data collection, will unveil a comprehensive drone-based mapping program designed specifically for Public Safety applications. The Complete Incident Response Recovery Unmanned Aerial System (CIRRUAS) program is designed primarily for Accident Reconstruction and Crime Scene Mapping, but is also applicable to Search & Rescue and Reconnaissance missions.
“CIRRUAS was designed by law enforcement for law enforcement to meet their unique mapping and data collection needs,” said CompassDrone Vice President Hayden Howard. “The result is a complete drone program comprising all the hardware, software and training they need to deploy drones in their daily operations.”
CompassDrone will showcase and demonstrate the CIRRUAS solution in booth #750 at the 2017 APCO Conference & Exhibition being held August 13-16 in Denver.
“We designed CIRRUAS to make data collection safer, faster and more accurate for public safety officers,” said Howard. “The program is an affordable, all-inclusive solution for mapping with unmanned aerial systems.”
The CIRRUAS package contains everything needed for public safety personnel to quickly and accurately map an accident or crime scene for 3D reconstruction or evidence preservation purposes. Different CIRRUAS packages are offered, but each contains multiple DJI drones – the best-selling unmanned aerial systems in the world – software, and Part 107 commercial flight training.
“The DJI drones selected for this package capture imagery of sufficient quality for the 3D photogrammetric mapping required for accident reconstruction and crime scene visualization,” said Howard. “Every CIRRUAS package is backed up with ongoing technical and applications support by CompassDrone personnel.”
The Elbert County, Colorado, Sheriff’s Department is among the first to participate in the program. The department’s Lt. Patrick Cillo said, “It’s an extremely comprehensive program.”
The following are available for inclusion in CIRRUAS packages:
• DJI Inspire 1 v2 Drones – Easy to program and fly, this quadcopter comes equipped with a 12-megapixel camera capable of capturing still and video imagery suitable for 3D mapping.
• DJI Phantom 4 Advanced Drones – Designed for longer flights, complex flight patterns, and demanding environments, this quadcopter with 12-megapixel camera is ideal for 3D photogrammetric mapping as well as Search & Rescue missions.
• DJI Mavic Drone – Small and compact, this quadcopter is well suited for indoor data collection at crime scenes and real-time video streaming for reconnaissance during live incidents.
• DJI Osmo Video Camera – Designed for collection of 12-16-megapixel color video on the ground, this handheld camera quickly captures high-quality imagery of a crime or accident scene.
• Trimble TDC Smart Phone – This rugged Android handheld is included in the package to run the CompassDrone App for easy drone operation.
• Laser Technology TruPulse 200L – With a touch of a button, this handheld laser accurately measures distances at crime and accident scenes.
• CompassDrone App – Running on any Android handheld device, this App was designed with input from law enforcement to fly the types of multi-grid patterns and capture the data they need for both legal compliance and accurate crime/accident reconstruction. Included is a unique circular autonomous flight pattern designed specifically for public safety uses.
• Cloud-Based Photogrammetric Software – The CompassDrone App pushes captured raw image and metadata to CompassDrone software in the cloud to create photogrammetric-quality 3D map products.
• Part 107 Certification – Complete three-day training instructs personnel in drone operation and airspace restrictions as mandated by FAA. Also included is half-day Night Waiver instruction for nighttime drone operation, vital for accident mapping and search & rescue activities. The first 10 graduates of the class easily passed the FAA exam.
• AIRS Training – Taught by law enforcement veterans, this course provides an introduction to the basics of traffic accident scene mapping, data collection, image analysis and 3D reconstruction.
Details on the CompassDrone CIRRUAS Standard and Basic packages may be found at www.compassdrone.com/cirruas/.
CompassDrone™ is based in Centennial, Colorado and part of the Compass Family of businesses founded in 1994, specializing in collecting high-quality, spatially-accurate data for Geographic Information Systems (GIS) applications, photogrammetry, LiDAR and remotely sensed data. CompassDrone™ is a full-service dealer for sale, rental or lease of all DJI® airframes including the Matrice Series. CompassDrone provides software, services and training for drone-based data collection related to industrial grade remote sensing projects. Visit www.compassdrone.com.