Software Empowers Users to Get Additional Value From Their Intelligent 3D Models, Spatial Databases, OGC Web Services, Point Clouds, and Scalable Terrain Models
Amsterdam, Netherlands – Geospatial World Forum 2012 – 25 April 2012 – Bentley Systems, Incorporated, the leading company dedicated to providing comprehensive software solutions for sustaining infrastructure, is further advancing GIS for infrastructure with the forthcoming release of Bentley Map V8i (SELECTseries 3) and Geo Web Publisher V8i (SELECTseries 4). Bentley Map is the choice of infrastructure professionals around the globe for the creation of reliable and realistic 3D GIS models in support of engineering decision making. Bentley Geo Web Publisher – a web GIS platform with high-performance publishing capabilities for the integration of a variety of data sources and authoring and administration of web applications – maximizes the value of geospatial information. The new versions of these two products further streamline geospatial workflows, saving time, reducing costs, and uniquely meeting the demanding needs of infrastructure projects.
Bentley Map now empowers users to take even greater advantage of point-cloud data and scalable terrain models in engineering workflows. In addition, it improves geospatial workflows with the convenience of spatial data streaming from spatial databases (Oracle Spatial, and now Microsoft SQL Server Spatial) and Open Geospatial Consortium-compliant web services. The new version of Bentley Geo Web Publisher supports the publishing of 3D spatial information.
Richard Zambuni, Bentley global marketing director, said, “The new releases of Bentley Map and Bentley Geo Web Publisher update and significantly extend the capabilities of our broad range of products for desktop and web GIS workflows. Moreover, they deliver the engineering accuracy and rigor that today’s GIS professionals demand.”
Agnieszka Kolkiewicz, GIS consultant, Logica Poland, said, “Since 1986 Logica Poland has been providing integrated systems for water utilities in Poland. The GIS module is part of the solution we provide, and currently more than 40 customers are earning profits from it. We are planning to rebuild our GIS application using the new development interface (API) in Bentley Map V8i (SELECTseries 3). From our initial investigations of this latest release we are very excited about using the new Microsoft SQL Server Spatial support, the spatial data streaming, the Web Feature Service capability, and the enhanced XFM feature engine. These new capabilities in Bentley Map will help us deliver an even better application for our users.”
Eric Moos, GIS administrator, City of Largo, Florida, U.S.A., said, “The City of Largo has adopted Bentley Map Enterprise as its desktop GIS standard for geospatial data creation and analysis, and we use Bentley’s geospatial desktop and server applications in conjunction with Oracle Spatial as the primary components of our enterprise GIS technology architecture. In our evaluation and testing of the new Bentley Map Enterprise V8i (SELECTseries 3) release, we are pleased with the overall performance increase and the addition of direct database access technology for geospatial databases. When paired with the 3D feature modeling capabilities already in Bentley Map, the new scalable terrain model functionality will enable us to build and maintain a 3D city model that can be used throughout the organization for planning, visualization, and analysis of new infrastructure projects. It also will allow us to fully leverage the value of our investment in digital design data for capital infrastructure improvement projects to build and maintain our enterprise geospatial database.”
Bentley Map V8i (SELECTseries 3)
Bentley Map V8i (SELECTseries 3) increases users’ returns on their investments in datasets comprising, for example, multi-gigabyte point-cloud files aggregating to terabytes of data as well as digital terrain models with billions of points, by enabling them to incorporate this valuable data in geospatial workflows. It also provides advanced editing and 3D spatial analysis to help improve data quality and decision making.
The new features of Bentley Map V8i (SELECTseries 3) include support for:
• Microsoft SQL Server Spatial, enabling unprecedented interoperability and enterprise integration for Microsoft SQL Server users;
• advanced point-cloud processing, bringing point-cloud data seamlessly into geospatial workflows to support the creation of intelligent 3D models that combine vector geometry, imagery, and point clouds;
• the manipulation of very large scalable terrain models, helping users maintain a single terrain model for an entire region or country and keep the model up to date from multiple sources;
• spatial data streaming through a redesigned spatial database interface (which delivers spatial database information dynamically to the desktop), making users’ sessions more productive and intuitive and helping them avoid unnecessary interruptions;
• Web Feature Service (WFS), allowing connections to any WFS server through which an organization publishes spatial information in OGC standard formats for consumption and editing by Bentley Map;
• advanced mapping tools such as the new Grid/Graticules Generation tool, enabling the creation of impressive and accurate maps and plans;
• creating and editing custom coordinate systems, enabling coordinate support for even the most demanding organizations.
Bentley Geo Web Publisher V8i (SELECTseries 4)
Bentley Geo Web Publisher V8i (SELECTseries 4) brings together multiple data sources, supports collaboration among distributed project teams and the public, and improves productivity. Moreover, its advanced web application builder allows GIS managers to quickly, easily, and cost-effectively create and maintain – independently – very rich web GIS applications.
Additional advantages include:
• the provision of full fidelity to MicroStation data, including textures, point clouds, terrain models, and attribute data;
• the presentation of source data with engineering accuracy;
• map navigation that’s simple, intuitive, immersive, and fast;
• support for a wide variety of data sources, including Oracle, Microsoft SQL Server Spatial, OGC WMS, OGC WFS, GIS files, CAD files, and raster imagery;
• support for Web Feature Service Client, allowing connections to any WFS server used to publish spatial information in the OGC standard;
• more development tools, including sample pages supporting touch-based mobile devices such as iPad;
• 3D publishing of i-models and CAD files.
The new capabilities of Bentley Geo Web Publisher V8i (SELECTseries 4) are highly valuable to all organizations that share and publish intelligent 3D information models. Among these organizations are the growing number of cadastres, local governments, and public- and private-sector infrastructure owner-operators that increasingly rely on 3D models for everything from public mapping services to 3D city initiatives to engineering projects.
For additional information about Bentley Map V8i (SELECTseries 3), visit www.bentley.com/BentleyMap3DGIS. For additional information about Bentley Geo Web Publisher V8i (SELECTseries 4), visit www.bentley.com/NewInGWP.
About Bentley Systems, Incorporated
Bentley is the global leader dedicated to providing architects, engineers, geospatial professionals, constructors, and owner-operators with comprehensive software solutions for sustaining infrastructure. Bentley’s mission is to empower its users to leverage information modeling through integrated projects for high-performing intelligent infrastructure. Its solutions encompass the MicroStation platform for inf
rastructure design and modeling, the ProjectWise platform for infrastructure project team collaboration and work sharing, and the AssetWise platform for infrastructure asset operations – all supporting a broad portfolio of interoperable applications and complemented by worldwide professional services. Founded in 1984, Bentley has grown to nearly 3,000 colleagues in more than 45 countries and over $500 million in annual revenues. Since 2003, the company has invested more than $1 billion in research, development, and acquisitions. Additional information about Bentley is available at www.bentley.com and in Bentley’s annual report. For Bentley news as it happens, subscribe to an RSS feed of Bentley press releases and news alerts. To view a searchable collection of innovative infrastructure projects from the annual Be Inspired Awards, access Bentley’s Year in Infrastructure publications. To access a professional networking site that enables members of the infrastructure community to connect, communicate, and learn from each other, visit Be Communities. To download the Bentley Infrastructure 500 Top Owners ranking, a unique global compendium of the top public- and private-sector owners of infrastructure based on the value of their cumulative infrastructure investments, visit www.bentley.com/500.