Educational programs coast-to-coast benefit from grants
Tampa, FL – 12/15/2008 – The PBSJ Corporation, parent company of PBS&J; PBS&J Constructors, Inc.; and PBS&J International, Inc., has announced the award of grants totaling more than $100,000. Grants will be administered through The PBSJ Foundation, Inc., a 501(c)(3) foundation focused on helping the corporation’s employee-owned subsidiaries expand their programs for charitable giving.
The Foundation Board meets quarterly throughout the year to consider funding requests submitted by employees of the Corporation’s subsidiaries. At its December 2008 Board meeting, grants for the following programs were approved:
• DISKovery Center; LTSC Community Development Corporation; Los Angeles, California
• Melissa Pellegrin Memorial Scholarship; Society for Technical Communication (STC) Orlando Chapter; Central Florida
• Real Life Science: A Theme Program; School of Arts and Sciences; Tallahassee, Florida
• ITSFL Scholarship Program; ITS Florida
• The PBS&J Learn and Lead Science and Math Scholarship; Experience Aviation, Inc.; Miami, Florida
• Impact II Science and Math through Architecture and Engineering; The Education Fund, Inc.; Miami, Florida
• Achievers for Life; United Way of NE Florida, Inc.; Duval County, Florida
• 2008-2009 Learn & Serve Initiative H2008: Every Drop Counts; Jobs for Florida’s Graduates
• Experimental Watershed Education in Western Montana; The Watershed Education Network; Montana
• Tutoring Incentive Program Eastside Memorial School at the Johnston Campus; Austin Community College Center for Public Policy & Political Studies; Austin, Texas
The Foundation has also approved funding for the next sessions of PBS&J’s signature community outreach program, kidsclassSM, planned for Orlando and Reno.
“Our employees are known for their community involvement, and educational programs benefiting children are of particular interest. The Foundation provides a source of financial support for the many local educational and community-building organizations to which our employees devote their time and energy,” says John Zumwalt, Chairman of The PBSJ Foundation, Inc. board of directors. The PBS&J Foundation supports community education initiatives through scholarships and grants for public/private institutions of learning.
About The PBSJ Foundation, Inc.
The PBSJ Corporation has a long-established tradition of giving back to the communities in which its employees live and work. As the company’s professional interests have expanded nationally, so has the opportunity to reach into more communities to make a difference. To maximize the benefit of these charitable efforts, and to evolve and elevate its philanthropic efforts, The PBSJ Foundation was established. This 501(c)(3) foundation provides the Corporation’s subsidiaries with the tools and the ability to further promote and support education, public charities focused on providing support for individuals, and communities impacted by natural and man-made disasters, and the interests and welfare of other public charities that have a tax-exempt status under section 501(c)(3).
For more information about The PBSJ Foundation, contact Audrey Davidson, Foundation Coordinator, at 407.806.4321, or by email at AEDavidson@pbsj.com.