Grants will benefit education programs around the country
Tampa, FL – The PBSJ Corporation, parent company of PBS&J, PBS&J Constructors, Inc., and PBS&J International, Inc., has announced the award of grants totaling more than $85,000. Grants will be administered through The PBSJ Foundation, Inc., a 501(c)(3) foundation focused on helping the corporation’s employee-owned subsidiaries expand their programs for charitable giving.
The Foundation Board meets quarterly throughout the year to consider funding requests submitted by employees of the Corporation’s subsidiaries. At its June 2008 Board meeting, grants for the following programs were approved:
• Valley Elementary Educational Foundation; San Diego County, California
• Commission on Science that Matters; The Elementary Institute of Science; San Diego, California
• Leadership Summit; San Diego State University Mesa Engineering Program; San Diego, California
• Department of City and Regional Planning Environmental Planning Fellowship; College of Environmental Design, University of California, Berkeley; Berkeley, California
• Boys Town Tutorial Services; Boys Town of North Florida; Tallahassee, Florida
• Take Stock in Children; North Central Panhandle Education Foundation, Inc.; Washington County, Florida
• Scholarship Program; Miami Dade College Foundation; Miami, Florida
• Scholarship Program; Tampa Bay Technology Forum Foundation; Hillsborough and Pinellas Counties, Florida
• SciGirls; FSU Foundation, Inc.; Tallahassee, Florida
• Engineering Program; Tri-Cities High School; Atlanta, Georgia
• Scholarship Program; American Council of Engineering Companies/Research and Management Foundation
• Prefreshman Engineering Program; University of Texas at San Antonio; San Antonio, Texas
• Scholarship and After School Meals; The Links, Inc., Town Lake Links Chapter; Austin, Texas
The Foundation has also approved funding for the next session of PBS&J’s signature community outreach program, kidsclassSM, planned for the Miami, Florida, area.
According to John Zumwalt, Chairman of The PBSJ Foundation, Inc. board of directors, the program has successfully targeted worthy programs. “Because of their strong ties to their communities, our employees have been able to help us connect with initiatives that mirror the Foundation’s goals and objectives,” he says. The PBS&J Foundation supports community education initiatives through scholarships and grants for public/private institutions of learning.
About The PBSJ Foundation, Inc.
The PBSJ Corporation has a long-established tradition of giving back to the communities in which its employees live and work. As the company’s professional interests have expanded nationally, so has the opportunity to reach into more communities to make a difference. To maximize the benefit of these charitable efforts, and to evolve and elevate its philanthropic efforts, The PBSJ Foundation was established. This 501(c)(3) foundation provides the Corporation’s subsidiaries, PBS&J, PBS&J Constructors, Inc., and PBS&J International, Inc., with the tools and the ability to further promote and support education, public charities focused on providing support for individuals and communities impacted by natural and man-made disasters, and the interests and welfare of other public charities that have a tax-exempt status under section 501(c)(3).